I remember when I was pregnant figuring out what to put in my diaper bag for the first time was so overwhelming. That overwhelming feeling continued into the first couple weeks of my daughters life. There were a few mishaps where I definitely didn’t have what I needed with me. Whoops! However, here we are three months into this journey and I think I finally have it down to an art.
I am really excited to share with you all how I have chosen to pack my diaper bag and some of my favorite products that I couldn’t live without. I’m going to link all of my favorite baby items that go in my diaper bag for you and explain why I love them. I will also be sharing my exact diaper bag that I received as a gift at my shower that I just love. Let’s get started!
First of all let’s discuss the diaper bag itself. I was very picky when choosing a diaper bag. I wanted something that was practical where I could easily fit everything I needed in it and I wanted to be comfortable when carrying it. However, I also wanted something that was stylish and made me feel confident when I carried it. I found the perfect mix of comfort, practicality, and style in the Cindy Tote from Thirty-One. Although this isn’t a traditional diaper bag it works perfectly for me. I feel great and look great carrying it. The Cindy Tote I received was in the Indigo Ink print (pictured below).
- Portable Changing Station – I love having this changing station with me when we are out. It comes with a changing pad that I can unzip and lay out for her which makes it so I can change her practically anywhere. It also has great storage compartments to help me stay organized. It has a compartment specifically for wipes and one for diapers. I also had enough space to add diaper ointment as well as disposable bags.
- Diapers and Wipes – I try to always carry ten or so diapers with me anytime we are heading out for the day. I don’t always need that many, but I can tell you from experience it’s better to have too many diapers than not enough. We have found that Luvs diapers work best for our little one, but she’s pretty flexible on what wipes work for her so we use an assortment.
- Diaper Ointment – Diaper ointment is a necessity in my diaper bag. My daughter doesn’t get rashes often, but when she does they seem to pop out of no where. I always keep a small tube of A & D ointment in her diaper bag just in case.
- Disposable Diaper Sacks – We found some really affordable diaper trash sacks when we were out shopping one day and I’m really glad I decided to snag them up. Not only do I use them for disposing of a dirty diaper when we are out, but I also like to use mine to put wet or dirty clothes in until we can get home.
- Hand Sanitizer – I have had to change my daughters diaper in places a lot less convenient than a bathroom. In moments like these I find it’s best to always have a container of hand sanitizer with me so I can wash my hands when I’m done.
- Pacifiers – Our hospital gave us an Avent pacifier when my daughter was born and she really took to it. In fact, she refuses to take any other kind. We always keep two in the diaper bag and a Wubbanub version with her in her carseat.
- Pacifier Case – I wanted a way to store her pacifier in her diaper bag without it getting dirty and this was the perfect option. I love this case because the snap closure on the handle allows me to attach it to anything so when were on the go I can snap it to her stroller, car seat, etc. This particular pacifier case can hold about two maybe three pacifiers depending on the brand.
- Pacifier Wipes – Unfortunately I am not always near a sink when my daughter decides to spit her pacifier out onto the floor or throw it across the room. We don’t use these often, but they have been a lifesaver when my daughter threw her pacifier on the floor of the mall and I couldn’t wash it.
- Bottles and Formula or Breastmilk – I always take a small jar of formula with me when we are out for the day in her diaper bag. I also make sure to keep at least two bottles with me at all times so I can rotate them without having to find a place to wash them right away.
- Cloth Diapers – We purchased a few packages of Gerber cloth diapers to use as burp cloths. My daughter is a messy eater especially when we are out and about because she is so easily distracted so I always keep at least two of these in her diaper bag.
- Drool Bibs – My daughter has hit the stage where she is a drool machine. I always put her in a drool bib before we go out, but I like to keep an extra one in her diaper bag just in case she soaks through the first one.
- Extra Outfit – I always keep an extra outfit and an extra pair of pajamas in my diaper bag. You never know with babies when the next blow out or spit up disaster will occur. Always good to be prepared! This Christmas we went through three outfits in one afternoon alone so don’t be afraid to overpack.
- Swaddle Blanket – I am a huge fan of Aden & Anais swaddle blankets. They are so soft and only get softer the more you use them. I always keep one in her diaper bag so that if I need to calm her on the go I can swaddle her. They also make a great light blanket for using in the stroller or carseat and for you breastfeeding mamas they make a great nursing cover.
- Rattle – I always keep a small rattle in our diaper bag to help keep Olivia entertained when were out if she starts to get a little fussy. Some tethers can even double as a rattle and if you can snag one of those up even better. Two for one!
- Book – One of her starter books is Sassy – Who Loves Baby? This is meant to be a photo album, but can also be used without photos for young babies like ours. It is filled with different black and white patterns to help her eyes develop. I like to set ours up on the table in front of her at restaurants and it will keep her entertained for most of the time we are there as long as we keep turning the pages!
- Snacks – I like to always keep a bottle of water and a couple of granola bars in the diaper bag for myself or my husband. There are definitely days where I am so busy with her that I forget to eat and I don’t realize it until we are already out so these have been a lifesaver. Just don’t forget to restock!
What do you plan on putting in your diaper bag that is different than mine? Please reach out to me and share your ideas! Any diaper bag or traveling hacks that you have? Sound off with your thoughts and ideas in the comments below!